Awet Kidane, Director
- Awet Kidane was appointed Director in July 2014. As Director, he oversees the nearly 40 regulatory entities and other divisions within DCA. Prior to his appointment, he served as Chief Deputy Director of DCA, chief of staff, a senior advisor and a consultant in the State Legislature.
Tracy Rhine, Chief Deputy Director
- Tracy Rhine was appointed Chief Deputy Director in July 2014. As Chief Deputy Director, Tracy oversees DCAís internal operations. Prior to her appointment, she served as DCAís Deputy Director for Legislation. She also served as Assistant Executive Officer for the Board of Behavioral Sciences. Prior to coming to DCA, Tracy served as a consultant to the California State Assembly Committee on Business, Professions and Consumer Protection from 2005 to 2008 and as a consultant to the Speakerís Office of Member Services from 2002 to 2005. She was a graduate research assistant in the Governorís Office of Innovation in 2002.
Doreathea Johnson, Deputy Director, Legal Affairs Division
- Doreathea Johnson was initially appointed Deputy Director of Legal Affairs and General Counsel in 2000 and then reappointed in February 2013. As Deputy Director of Legal Affairs and General Counsel, Doreathea directs the activities of the Departmentís Legal Affairs Division and advises the Director, the Departmentís executive staff, the staff and executive officers of DCAís regulatory entities. Prior to her appointment, Ms. Johnson practiced as Senior Tax Counsel with the California Employment Development Department and as an Administrative Law Judge for the California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board. Ms. Johnson earned her Juris Doctorate degree from the University of Californiaís Hastings College of the Law.
Tamara Colson, Assistant Chief Counsel
Ė Tamara Colson was appointed Assistant General Counsel in August 2014. She had been the chief prosecuting counsel at the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control since 2011. She has also been an adjunct professor at University of the Pacificís McGeorge School of Law and a special assistant inspector general at the Office of the Inspector General. In addition, she was an administrative law judge at the Office of Administrative Hearings and a deputy attorney general at the California Department of Justice, Office of the Attorney General. She earned a Juris Doctorate degree from the University of California, Davis School of Law.
Christine Lally, Deputy Director of Board & Bureau Relations
- Christine Lally was appointed Deputy Director of Board and Bureau Relations in June 2013. As Deputy Director of Board and Bureau Relations, Christine serves as DCAís primary liaison between the Business, Consumer Services and Housing Agency and DCAís boards and bureaus. Prior to her appointment, she served as Assistant Secretary of Communications and Legislation at the California Technology Agency. She also served as Deputy Secretary of Legislative Affairs at the California State and Consumer Services Agency, and Director of Government Affairs and Constituency Outreach at the Office of Lieutenant Governor John Garamendi.
Melinda McClain, Deputy Director of Legislation and Regulatory Review - Melinda McClain was appointed Deputy Director of Legislation and Regulatory Review on October 2014. As the Deputy Director of Legislation and Regulatory Review, Melinda is a liaison between the Department; the Business, Consumer Services and Housing Agency; Governorís Office; and other State agencies on consumer-oriented legislation, including legislation affecting the Departmentís boards and bureaus. Prior to joining DCA, Melinda worked as a lobbyist at a private firm in Sacramento, as legislative staff in the California State Senate, and as a legislative analyst at the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees. She earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Government from CSU Sacramento, and a Master of Arts degree in Public Administration from the University of San Francisco.
Adam QuiŮonez, Assistant Deputy Director, Legislation and Regulatory Review - Adam QuiŮonez was appointed Assistant Deputy Director of Legislative and Regulatory Review in May 2015. Previous to his appointment, Adam was a Legislative Manager at the California Employment Development Department. He was a research analyst at the California Workforce Investment Board from 2010 to 2012, where he also served as an associate governmental programs analyst from 2009 to 2010 and as a staff services analyst from 2007 to 2009.
Veronica Harms, Deputy Director, Communications
Ė Veronica Harms was appointed Deputy Director of Communications in February 2016. As Deputy Director of Communications, Veronica oversees the departments of Public Affairs and Publications, Design and Editing. Prior to her appointment, Veronica worked at the California State Senate Democratic Caucus, where she served as consultant and media specialist since 2012. She held multiple positions at Ogilvy Public Relations from 2007 to 2012, including senior account executive and account supervisor. She held multiple positions at KCRA-TV from 2004 to 2007, including national sales assistant, local sales assistant, and account executive and was a local sales assistant at KOVR-TV in 2003. She earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Communications from the University of California, Davis and Master of Business Administration degree from California State University, Sacramento.
Tonya Corcoran, Deputy Director of Administrative Services
Ė Tonya Corcoran was appointed Deputy Director of Administrative Services in June 2014. As Deputy Director of Administrative Services, Tonya oversees DCAís Office of Administrative Services, which covers many vital services, including human resources, fiscal operations and business services functions. She joined DCA in 1989, and has served as its Labor Relations Officer, Bureau Chief for Hearing Aid Dispensers, Naturopathic Medicine, Telephone Medical Advice Services, and a Bureau of Electronic Appliance Repair and Home Furnishing and Thermal Insulation. Most recently, Tonya served as the Bureau of Automotive Repair Deputy Chief.
David Chriss, Deputy Director, Division of Investigation and Enforcement Programs
Ė David M. Chriss assumed the role of Chief of the Division of Investigation in January 2016. Since 2012, he had served as the Deputy Chief for the Division. With more than 27 years of investigative and managerial law enforcement experience, David has held various law enforcement positions throughout his career including Deputy Inspector General, Senior for the Office of the Inspector General, Supervising Investigator, Senior Special Investigator and Investigator. He also served as a Police Officer, Police Corporal and Police Sergeant for the Lincoln Police Department.
Tracy Montez, Chief, Division of Programs & Policy Review
- Tracy Montez assumed the role of Chief of Programs and Policy Review in February 2016. As Chief of Division of Programs and Policy Review, Tracy oversees a number of units within DCA, including the Office of Professional Examination Services (OPES) and the Consumer Information Center. Prior to her appointment, Tracy served as the Branch Administrator for the District, School, and Innovation Branch in the Deputy Superintendentís Office within the California Department of Education. She has more than 20 years of experience providing assessment and regulatory expertise to city, state and national organizations. She held the position of Chief at the DCAís OPES and served as an independent consultant, contracting with several boards under DCA. Tracy holds a Doctorate of Philosophy in Industrial and Organizational Psychology from Kansas State University.
Jason Piccione, Deputy Director, Office of Information Services
- Jason Piccione assumed the role of the Departmentís Chief Information Officer in November 2015. As Chief Information Officer, he oversees the Departmentís Office of Information Services (OIS) as well as sets IT direction and coordinates infrastructure and service delivery across the Department. Prior to being appointed CIO, Jason served as the Departmentís Chief Technology Officer. Additionally, he has held various positions at the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education and the Contractors State Licensing Board. Jason has served more than 15 years in public service. He obtained a Bachelorís Degree from the University of California, Davis.