Landlord Tenant

Although landlord/tenant issues do not fall within DCA's regulatory authority, we do offer a publication pertaining to landlord/tenant issues entitled "California Tenants, a guide to residential tenants' and landlords' rights and responsibilities," that may be helpful.

Landlord/Tenant resource page on the Consumer Wiki

Consumers may also contact their local Small Claims Advisors

If you are not able to find information specific to your needs, we recommend that you contact a local agency that specializes in landlord/tenant issues (see "Getting Help from a Third Party" and "Tenant Information and Assistance Resources"). Local agencies are listed under the county you reside.

In addition, we recommend you contact the California Bureau of Real Estate (CalBRE) for assistance. The CalBRE enforces real estate laws to protect consumers in the sale or lease of real property. The CalBRE licenses many property managers and management companies and may be able to assist you. The bureau qualifies applicants for real estate licenses, promotes professional and ethical standards in real estate brokerage, and regulates the sale or lease of subdivided property and property securities. It investigates complaints involving unlicensed activities or unlawful activities of real estate licensees and land subdividers. For your convenience, we have provided the contact information below:

California Bureau of Real Estate
1651 Exposition Blvd.
PO Box 137000
Sacramento, CA 95815