Awet Kidane, Director
- Awet was appointed Director in July 2014. Previously, Awet served as Chief Deputy Director in the Department since 2012. As Director, he oversees the nearly 40 regulatory entities and other divisions within the Department. Before being appointed to DCA, he served in various positions in the state Legislature, where he was a chief of staff, a senior advisor, and a consultant.
Tracy Rhine, Chief Deputy Director
- Tracy was appointed in July 2014, having previously served as the Departmentís Deputy Director for Legislation. As Chief Deputy Director, Tracy oversees the internal operations of the Department. Tracy has also previously served as Assistant Executive Officer for the Board of Behavioral Sciences. Prior to coming to the Department, Tracy served as a consultant to the California State Assembly Committee on Business, Professions and Consumer Protection from 2005 to 2008 and as a consultant to the Speaker's Office of Member Services from 2002 to 2005. She was a graduate research assistant in the Governor's Office of Innovation in 2002.
Doreathea Johnson, Deputy Director, Legal Affairs Division
- Doreathea was appointed in 2000 and reappointed in 2004. She directs the activities of the Department's Legal Affairs Division and advises the Director, the Department's executive staff, and the staff and executive officers of DCA's regulatory entities.
Tamara Colson, Assistant Chief Counsel
Ė Tamara Colson was appointed by Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. on August 29, 2014 to serve as the Department's Assistant Chief Counsel. She had been the chief prosecuting counsel at the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control since 2011. She has also been an adjunct professor at University of the Pacificís McGeorge School of Law and a special assistant inspector general at the Office of the Inspector General. In addition, she was an administrative law judge at the Office of Administrative Hearings and a deputy attorney general at the California Department of Justice, Office of Administrative Hearings. She earned a Juris Doctor degree from the University of California, Davis School of Law.
Michael Gomez, Deputy Director, Division of Investigation and Enforcement Programs
Ė Michael was appointed in October, 2012 to oversee DCA's enforcement activities. He comes to the department after working as a bureau chief with the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training and more than 30 years' worth of law enforcement experience. He has also served as Vice Mayor of Dixon, California and was Chief of DCA's Division of Investigation from 1995 to 2004.
Christine Lally, Deputy Director of Board & Bureau Relations
- Christine was appointed in June 2013. Christine serves as the Department's primary liaison with the Business, Consumer Services and Housing Agency and boards and bureaus within the Department. Prior to her appointment, Christine served as Assistant Secretary of Communications and Legislation at the California Technology Agency since 2011. She also served as Deputy Secretary of Legislative Affairs at the California State and Consumer Services Agency, Deputy Director of Development at the California Museum for History, Women and the Arts and Director of Government Affairs and Constituency Outreach at the Office of Lieutenant Governor John Garamendi. Christine also served as Assistant to the Appointments Secretary in the Office of Governor Gray Davis from 1999 to 2003.
Melinda McClain, Deputy Director of Legislation and Regulatory Review – Melinda was appointed on October 27, 2014 having previously worked as a lobbyist at Platinum Advisors since 2006. She was a legislative aide at the Office of California State Senator Kevin Murray from 2003 to 2006 and a legislative analyst at the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees from 2001 to 2003. McClain is a member of the Institute of Governmental Advocates and the California Association of African American Advocacy Professionals. She earned a Master of Arts degree in public administration from the University of San Francisco.
Russ Heimerich, Deputy Director of Communications
- Russ was appointed in February 2013 and oversees the Department's public relation and outreach efforts. Prior to his appointment, Russ was Chief of the Departmentís Office of Public Affairs from 2005 to 2013. He was an analyst on the customer service team at the California Performance Review from 2004 to 2005, information officer II at the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation from 2000 to 2005 and government and community relations manager at Comcast from 1999 to 2000. Russ has also previously worked for the Bureau of Automotive Repair and the California State University, Sacramento. He served as morning edition host and producer at Capital Public Radio from 1986 to 1995, editor and reporter at KGNR-AM from 1983 to 1985 and weekend editor and anchor at WOSU AM & FM in 1983.
Tonya Corcoran, Deputy Director of Administrative Services
Ė Tonya was appointed in June 2014. Tonya oversees the Departmentís Office of Administrative Services, covering many vital services, including human resources, fiscal operations, and business services functions. She joined the Department of Consumer Affairs in 1989. Over the years, she has held various high level positions within the Department and served as the Departmentís Labor Relations Officer, Bureau Chief for Hearing Aid Dispensers, Naturopathic Medicine, Telephone Medical Advice Services, and the Bureau of Electronic Appliance Repair and Home Furnishing and Thermal Insulation. Most recently Tonya has served as the Bureau of Automotive Repairís, Deputy Chief over Licensing, Administration and Consumer Assistance Division.
Amy Cox-O'Farrell, Deputy Director, Office of Information Services
- Amy became the Department's Chief Information Officer in February, 2012. As such, she oversees all of DCA's IT and telecommunications services. She has been in state service for more than 30 years and has held numerous positions within DCA.