Information for Refugees / Asylees / Special Immigrant Visa Holders

Expedited Licensure for Refugees / Asylees / Special Immigrant Visa Holders

Effective January 1, 2021, pursuant to BPC section 135.4, the CBA will expedite the processing of your application if you:

  1. Are a refugee pursuant to section 1157 of title 8 of the United States Code;
  2. Were granted asylum by the Secretary of Homeland Security or the Attorney General of the United States pursuant to section 1158 of title 8 of the United States Code; or,
  3. Hold a special immigrant visa and have been granted a status pursuant to section 1244 of Public Law 110-181, Public Law 109-163, or section 602(b) of title VI of division F of Public Law 111-8.
You will need to include “satisfactory evidence” of refugee, asylee, or special immigrant status with your application, which can include:
  • Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record, with an admission class code such as “RE” (Refugee) or “AY” (Asylee) or other information designating the person a refugee or asylee.
  • Special immigrant visa that includes the classification of “SI” or “SQ.”
  • Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551), commonly known as a “Green Card,” with a category designation indicating that the person was admitted as a refugee or asylee.
  • An order from a court of competent jurisdiction or other documentary evidence that provides reasonable assurance that the applicant qualifies for expedited licensure.
Please note that this does not mean a license must be issued, but simply that the process will be expedited. If you have questions, you may send an email to