What is CURES?
The Controlled Substance Utilization Review and Evaluation System (CURES), maintained by the Department of Justice (DOJ), is a platform that tracks all Schedule II – IV controlled substances dispensed to patients in California. Authorized prescribers, pharmacists, law enforcement, and regulatory agencies can view information in CURES including:
- patient name, date of birth, address
- prescriber name, DEA number
- pharmacy name, license number
- date prescription was dispensed
- prescription number
- drug name, quantity and strength
- number of refills remaining
For assistance with CURES 2.0 registration, access, or system use, contact the CURES helpdesk at CURES@doj.ca.gov or (916) 210-3187.
CURES Registration at a Glance
Registration is done through DOJ’s CURES 2.0 Registration. Only licensed California prescribers and dispensers can register with CURES. (NOTE: If you are with a law enforcement agency or regulatory board and need CURES access, please contact the CURES helpdesk at CURES@doj.ca.gov or (916) 210-3187).
To register, licensed prescribers and dispensers will need:
- A valid email address. This will be the exclusive email address to which CURES-related correspondence is sent.
- Your state license information. This information will be verified with the regulatory board issuing your license.
- Your federal DEA license information (prescribers only). This information will be verified with the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA).
DOJ will process your registration application and send email notification of its approval or denial.
Once you receive DOJ email notification of your approved registration, you can access CURES 2.0 through DOJ’s CURES 2.0 Login. Reference the Prescriber and Dispenser User Guide for detailed information about navigating and using CURES 2.0.
Data Submission Requirements
For data submission instructions or assistance with transmission issues, please contact:
Atlantic Associates, Inc. – CURES Prescription Data Collection Vendor
CURES Upgrade: CURES 2.0
On January 8, 2016, the DOJ released the CURES 2.0 system upgrade. This upgrade offers a significantly improved user experience and increased functionality:
- Allow approved delegates to run patient report queries for access by prescribers and dispensers
- Send peer-to-peer communications
- Receive patient alerts
For More Information
To learn more about CURES 2.0, visit the following links: